Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Scholarship vs. Happiness

So for those of you who don't know, I have a scholarship. The mother of all scholarships. I don't say that to brag or be haughty in any manner, but I'm trying to paint a picture here.

So in 2007, I was awarded the Jack Kent Cooke Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship. It's a very long name, but if you want to learn more about it and why it is such a big deal (besides the hundred pounds of paper I shipped for it), here is a link to more information:
http://www.jkcf.org/scholarships/undergraduate-transfer-scholarships/

This is a fabulous scholarship which has been a tremendous blessing to our little family. What hasn't been a blessing is the incessant need of BYU faculty and administrators to make life so difficult for their students. So I've been suffering through classes with the help of tutors, peers, and a few helpful instructors (no, not all instructors do something to help students other than give horrible lectures), not to mention the 5 books I have sitting on the floor next to me just for my physics class. Even with all this help, I don't get the grades my scholarship expects without spending 10 hours a day studying outside of class and working on assignments; SEVEN DAYS A WEEK.

So Val and I have decided I have to do something different. We never have any fun anymore. We haven't been to the movies in months, we don't go out to dinner, we don't really do anything. So I've decided all the studying is not worth my time when all it does is make me hate school. In fact, it is well worth it to me to take 2 classes a semester and just work full-time for the next 2 years that it will take to actually finish my degree.

So I don't know how this is going to work out, but something has to change. If my scholarship gets pulled, I guess that's just my problem. If they let me keep it and are understanding of my situation, then hats off to them. I hope some sense of happiness and humanity will prevail here.

No comments: