Sunday, November 02, 2008

Houston, TX in November

So Val and I are going to Houston in November.  We'll be there almost the entire week of Thanksgiving this year, which makes me very excited.
There has never been a place like Houston.  There will never be a place like it, either.  At least to me.  Houston, Texas has completely stolen my heart.  During the two years that I lived in the Houston area serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which some people call the Mormon church, I met almost every kind of person that exists.  From the homeless to the owners of multimillion dollar companies, every class of person lives in Houston.  From cowboys to prostitutes and illegal immigrants to 100-yr old native Texans, I had the opportunity to teach all of these people about God and the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ and to help them with anything they would let me do.
I demolished a house, built a bathroom, repaired cars, mowed lawns, and even did dishes, if that was what someone needed.
I listened to people's problems, helped people change their lives, and just plain made people happier than they were before they met me.
That's not to say that life was a walk in the park.  Some people really didn't appreciate what I was trying to do.  I had beer bottles thrown at me, shotguns shoved in my face, dogs sent after me, death promised to me, and was ridiculed plenty of times for my religious convictions.
All in all, any one positive experience made up for all of the threats and abuse that was shown towards me.  In fact, there is not a day that goes by without a memory coming to my mind of the great Texas Houston South Mission area.  Basically, I LOVE HOUSTON!  I love Texas, I love Houston, and I love the people there.  I loved to learn about the problems people deal with, the things that make our lives mean something to us, and how to live a happy and meaningful life of my own.
When I return to visit there in three weeks, I am afraid that I'll never come back.  I told my wife about the humidity, fire ants, alligators, and banana spiders, but now I'm trying to allay her fears so that I can find some way to live there again.
God Bless Texas.

No comments: